User Query 1: “Hi all. This is a help-seeking post. Recently, two of my pen drives have been infected by virus. Though I was able to remove the virus using a paid anti-virus software, some problems still persist. I have noticed that some of the files are missing from my pen drive. It seems that due to the virus attack, those files were removed from the flash drive. Now tell me, how to recover deleted data from pen drive using CMD? Any type of help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.”
User Query 2: “Dear friends. My son accidentally deleted some important files from my pen drive when he was left unsupervised with the laptop. Now I want to get back those files, as I do not have any backup copy of those in any other drive. Kindly tell me how to recover deleted files from pen drive using command prompt. I am not interested to run any third-party software, therefore I am asking for the procedure of this manual method.”
If you are also suffering from data loss from your pen drive, just like these users, this is the right blog for you. Here we will discuss How to Recover Deleted Data from Pen Drive using CMD. Command prompt is a popular native way to fix various issues of pen drive. When files are deleted from the pen drive, people often seek a manual solution to this problem. This post will address the particular need of the users and share the process of pen drive data recovery using command prompt.
Reasons for Pen Drive Data Deletion
These are some of the common reasons for file getting deleted from pen drive.
- Human activity: The main reason that files get deleted is that the users are deleting them. It can be accidental or intentional.
- Pen drive memory wearing: A pen drive has to go through thousands of write/erase cycle. This decreases its lifetime and after a certain time, the gadget starts to wear off. Then some of its files might get lost.
- Virus infection: Virus or malware infection can also delete files permanently from the pen drive.
- Power problem: If the power connection is not right and the pen drive faces sudden power surge or failure, files can go missing.
- Not removing securely: All external hard drives including USB per drives are suggested to remove safely from the computer. If this instruction is not followed, USB files can get corrupt.
- OS malfunctioning: If the operating system is not working properly, it can affect the pen drive and files can go missing.
How to Recover Deleted Data from Pen Drive using CMD
Since command prompt is a manual solution to fix pen drive corruptions. Here is how you have to run the necessary command in the prompt.
- Press Win + R keys together and type CMD in the Run box.
- Command Prompt will open on your system.
- Type Chkdsk x: /r in the prompt. (Replace X with the drive name of the pen drive.)
- The pen drive will get scanned and corruptions will be identified. Now, you have to run attrib -h -r -s /s /d d:\* .*. When the second command finishes its work, open the pen drive to see is the deleted files are recovered.
Bonus Tip: In Case CMD Command Fails to Recover Deleted Data from Pen Drive
Though command prompt is a native method to remove pen drive corruption and get back deleted files, it is not trustworthy. In almost all cases, users have reported that CMD failed to remove corruption from their pen drive. Hence, it is wise to opt for SysTools Pen Drive Deleted Data Recovery Software. This software is not only robust but also easy to operate. It supports exFAT, FAT and NTFS formatted pen drives and USB flash drives. Using only a few easy steps, users can recover their deleted data from the pen drive.
Pen drives have made data transfer between different systems really easy and trouble-free. Sometimes, they are used as data backup device also. If the files of pen drive are deleted or lost, users are bound to suffer. To resolve their problem, we have described how to recover deleted data from pen drive using CMD. If this does not work, users can choose the software mentioned here.